Best places to go on holiday in India, India tour guide map
The best way to go about planning a holiday trip to India is to first get an idea of the best places to go on holiday in India, the best of India tourist places to visit. Below is an official map of India showing all the 28 States and the 7 Union Territories of India. To plan your vacation holiday and to have an idea of the different holiday options available in India, the map of India below will be divided into 5 Regions.
This division is purely being made on an arbitrary basis here, for the convenience of explaining about the different holidays options available in the various parts of India. We will take each region and explain about the best of India Tourist places in that region. This will help you to decide which region of India to visit and accordingly plan your holiday in India
Best places for holiday in North India
North India (circled in blue colour) consists of the States Jammu &Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Haryana, Uttaranchil (Uttarakhand), Rajasthan, Utter Pradesh and the Union Territory of Delhi.
All of these States are explained with some details in our page North Indian Region.
In the Northern Region tourism is mainly centered around Delhi, the State of Rajasthan and the city of Agra. This tourism route is popularly referred to as the Golden Triangle. The most famous and luxurious way of spending a holiday in this part is by taking a tour on the famous 'Maharaja trains of India' like the 'Maharaja Express Train' or ‘Palace on Wheels’ or the ‘Royal Rajasthan on Wheels’ train tours. Also visit our pages on Agra, Delhi and Rajasthan
UNESCO World Heritage Sites in North India
- Agra Fort (1983) Agra
- Fatehpur Sikri (1986) Agra
- Humayun's Tomb, Delhi (1993) Delhi
- Qutb Minar and its Monuments, Delhi (1993) Delhi
- Red Fort Complex (2007) Delhi
- Taj Mahal (1983) Agra
- Keoladeo National Park (1985) Rajasthan
- Nanda Devi and Valley of Flowers National Parks (1988) Uttaranchil (Uttarakhand)
Best Tourist places in Western Region of India
The Western Region (circled in Yellow colour) are the States of Gujarat, Maharashtra, Goa and the Union Territories of Damn and Diu. All of these states are on the western coast of India and tourist places in west coast India are explained with some details on our page of Tourist places in west coast India. There are 2 luxury train tours to Goa, one from Mumbai on 'The Deccan Odyssey' and the other from Bangalore called the 'The Golden Chariot'. We have some pages on the best tourist spots on the West Coastal India on our dedicated webpages for Goa and Mumbai (Bombay), which is the capital of Maharashtra.
UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Western Region of India
- Ajanta Caves (1983) Maharashtra
- Champaner-Pavagadh Archaeological Park (2004) Gujarat
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (formerly Victoria Terminus) (2004) Maharashtra
- Elephanta Caves (1987) Maharashtra
- Ellora Caves (1983) Maharashtra
- Churches and Convents of Goa (1986) Goa
Best Tourist places in Central India
The Central part of India (circled in Purple) are the States of Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand and Orissa.
UNESCO World Heritage Sites in the central part of India
- Buddhist Monuments at Sanchi (1989) Madhya Pradesh
- Khajuraho Group of Monuments (1986) Madhya Pradesh
- Rock Shelters of Bhimbetka (2003) Madhya Pradesh
- Sun Temple, Konârak (1984) Orissa
Best places to visit in the Eastern part of India
The Eastern Region of India (circled in Red) are the States of Bihar, West Bengal, Sikkim, Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram and Tripura. Here we will club the outlying remote island of Andaman and Nicobar which are a Union Territory. All of these states are explained with some details on our webpage of India’s North East Regions. We also have a dedicated page on Kolkata (Calcutta) which is the capital of West Bengal.
UNESCO World Heritage Sites in the Estern part of India
- Kaziranga National Park (1985) Assam
- Manas Wildlife Sanctuary (1985) Assam
- Mahabodhi Temple Complex at Bodh Gaya (2002) Bihar
- Mountain Railways of India (1999) Darjeeling, West Bengal
- Sundarbans National Park (1987) West Bengal
Best places to visit in South India
South India (circled in Green) are the States of Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Kerala and the Union Territories of Puducherry (Pondicherry), and the outlying Islands of Lakhshadweep. All of these states are explained with some details on our page of India’s Southern Region. We also have dedicated pages for Bangalore, Chennai (Madras) and Hyderabad, the Capitals of Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh respectively. We also have a dedicated page for the heavenly State of Kerala, which now a days is the most preferred destination for travelers seeking a calm and quite holiday with some wellness treatments like Ayurveda.
UNESCO World Heritage Sites in South India
- Great Living Chola Temples (1987) Tamil Nadu
- Group of Monuments at Hampi (1986) Karnataka
- Group of Monuments at Mahabalipuram (1984) Tamil Nadu
- Group of Monuments at Pattadakal (1987) Karnataka
- Mountain Railways of India (1999) Nilgiri Mountain Railway, Ooty, Tamil Nadu
Other pages in our website www.IndiaEnjoy.com
Below are links to all the pages on this website and we hope you will make full use of all the great information about India. So please 'Enjoy India' through our website IndiaEnjoy.com